For almost any Japanese meal, steam rice is one of the staple foods and is considered one of the primary sources. The Japanese term for rice is Gohan, and you might have heard a lot about the rice. The time is also used to refer to dinner or meal, as no Japanese meal is ever complete without rice. You might be wondering How to cook Japanese rice (วิธีทําข้าวญี่ปุ่น, which is the term in Thai). When it comes to the plain rice, it is ideally a short grain and polished white rice, and it is entirely opposite to the brown rice.
Typically the rice is bought in a giant tub that is made from cedar, and it is served to every person’s bowl with a wooden paddle, especially for rice. When cooked, this rice becomes a little sticky, which makes it relatively easy to eat with the finely pointed Japanese chopsticks.
How To Cook Japanese Rice?
It is straightforward to cook Japanese rice as you just need some Japanese style rice or short-grain rice and some water. The measurement for rice and water is ideally equal, that is, around two and a half cups.
- First of all, you need to gather the ingredients.
- You need to place the rice in a large bowl and wash the same with cold water. You must repeat the step until the water becomes completely clear.
- Then you need to drain the rice and keep it aside for at least 30 minutes.
- You can cook the rice in a rice cooker or put it in the pot on a stove.
Tips For Cooking The Japanese Rice
- You need to place the rice in the cooker and add some water if you are using a rice cooker. You need to ensure that you allow the rice to be soaked in the water for around 30 minutes to one hour. Ideally, people say that one hour is perfect for Japanese rice.
- It would be best if you started your cooker.
- You must stop the heat when it is done and allow the cooker to steam for at least 15 minutes before you open the lid.
- You can use the rice spatula to fluff the rice and serve the same into individual bowls.
Lastly, if you are using a pot for cooking the rice, then you must follow the same soaking method. You need to cover the rice pot with a lady and allow it to boil at high heat. You must turn the heat to low after 20 minutes or after the water is almost over. Before opening the lid, you need to turn off the heat for about 15 minutes.